9.21.2008

t for tasty

I just finished a very busy week. C'était un semaine étrange. Many ups and downs. I am confused about the week and need a while to reflect.
To relax myself after a wierd week I made a big pot of soupish stew on Friday. It is the perfect Autumn soup, and its cheap and pretty healthy too. When I cook, I rarely follow a recipe that isn't my own. I am useless at baking because I refuse to follow all the particular measurements. This is something I need to work on, because I love to eat baked goods.... so it would be super if I could make some myself. I remember when I was in middle school I was really into baking cookies. "ginger crinkles" were my fave.
Here is the recipe for my Autumn Soup. I recommend it, and goodluck figuring out the recipe....

1 or 2 sausages depending on the size. A salty pork sausage with lots of flavour, and maybe spicey.
Chou vert - thats in french, in english its like kind of a cabbage
3 zucchinis
2 large sweet potatoes
half a cup of onions approximately
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of white beans
3 cups of water
6 cups of chicken broth approximately
3 spoons of dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

  • Cut the sausage into thirds, put in a pot with the 3 cups of water and cook on medium for about 15 minutes
  • Cube the sweet potatoes and zucchini
  • Put the sweet potatoes in with the sausage after the 15 minutes, and about 10 minutes after, add the zucchini
  • Mince the garlic and chop the onions finely, then add to the mixture.
  • Chop into thin slices the " chou vert" and add to the soup (i'll look for the translation)
  • The sausage and the veggies will create a base flavour for the soup.
  • Take the sausage chunks out, and chop into cubes, the same size as the potatoes
  • Heat the chicken stock seperately and add the dijon mustard and whisk so the mustard is disolved into the broth
  • Add the mustard and chicken broth mix to the rest of the stew
  • Rinse the white beans, and add to the soup.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste
  • Turn down to the minimum temperature and let sit for a couple of hours with the lid on
Bon apetit!

It makes a large amount, which is ok because the soup can be good for about 4 days if refridgerated. The soup tastes best on the 2nd or 3rd day infact.

No comments: