9.23.2008

puis-je tu poser une question?

So I have been in Paris now for almost 4 months now. That means that I only have 2/3rds more of my year here to go. That makes me sad. I was watching television last night (French, of course). And they were showing scenes of the streets of Paris, and playing the typical French romantic music with the accordion. It made me kind of emotional, and my eyes got all stingy and teary. I was imagining how many times when I am back in Canada that I will see things from Paris, and about Paris on television etc, and how much it will make me miss this place like crazy! It's amazing to me how quickly I adjusted to life here.... especially considering I don't speak the same language! But now it is improving, finally.

Le question!

I was thinking the other day.... "am I home sick? And if I could go back to Canada tomorrow just for 24 hours, what would I do?"

Homesick? Surprisingly, not really. It comes and goes in waves. Sometimes I will just get a rush of homesickness, but 99% of the time its fine. But having a boyfriend in Paris has a lot to do with the adjustment factor. The hardest part about moving to another country is suddenly realizing that you have no support group. Nobody to know what your favourite colour is, or what makes you cry, or laugh. What your bad habits are, what you did for your birthday last year, who you love, who you hate, etc. If you need comfort, its hard to find it from strangers or from people you've barely just met. I am so happy that I had someone here I was so close to, and cared about me before I arrived. It made things much easier for me when settling in.

If I had just 24 hours in Canada?
Of course, see my family and friends. But only the really important ones, because 24 hours is not a lot of time. We would all eat breakfast together, of cinnamon crunch cereal....because I really miss that. After breakfast we would talk more, and go to Kensington market. Then, all you can eat sushi for lunch. ALL YOU CAN EAT! I miss you so much Toronto sushi. We would ride bicycles for a while around the city, then go to lettierie for a big coffee to warm up! For dinner, insomnia, for the french fries, and cheap martinis. Then, with my best girls and best guy, we would stay inside and take vodka shots and pretend our parents could come home any minute. We would be so drunk. Then go dancing or to Green Room, depending how drunk we are of course, and be totally obnoxious the entire time! Then I would go back to my parents, not drunk anymore, and finish the trip with a big bowl of Henry's Homemade Chicken Soup (from my dad).

my old hood

No comments: