11.01.2008

reflections of an english-face living in paris: lesson 1

I have been in Paris, France now for 6 months. Holy merde! This means I have survived the perils of being an English face among the French faces for half of one year. Which has not been easy some times, so I will give myself a little pat on the back. This also means that I only have 6 months left until my Visa is an asshole and tells me that I have to return to Canada. This, I am dreading. Even though I knew after 1 month here that 1 year was not enough. To make things clear, to the few people that read this, I love Canada. Please do not confuse my extreme love for Paris, as hatred for Canada. I love my country, and am proud to be Canadian (woahhhh fromage, I know), and I also love France, so.... naturally duel-citizenship would be the perfect solution!

Life in Paris for me did take some getting used to at first, and I'm sure there are more surprises to come.

#1: People-watching
Parisian's give a whole new definition to this simple care-free hobby that we Canadians partake in every so often; some more than others. Nothing serious though. I never notice myself being watched unless I'm walking alone. The first time I experienced it, I thought maybe I had bird shit on me, or my fly was open, or I had a bit of food on my face. I was surveyed by everyone; people sitting on a patio cafe, people walking past me. I sometimes even be checked out completely, head to toe.... men and women. I was becoming paranoid and almost worried, so I kept glancing in the reflection of the shop windows. Nothing. I looked completely normal. This continued though, and I was no longer paranoid, and thought maybe people were admiring me.... I guess my hair did look extra nice today, or maybe its the new lipstick colour? But no, this wasn't it either. In reality, the French just love to people watch. They will look you up and down, maybe even talk about you with their friends in a cafe as you pass. Sometimes nice things, and sometimes....because to be honest, I've found myself to be doing it now too. People-watching is definitely part of the French culture.
I think a more fitting term for people-watching Parisian style would be .... "People Scrutinizing" maybe?

In other news I am back from the South of France....and am almost completely rejuvenated. Exactly the amount of relaxation I needed. And also, was my first time hitch-hiking! Only one beautiful warm day of sunshine, but it was a wonderful trip nonetheless. I did a lot of thinking, and reflecting, and talking about my options for staying in France for atleast another year. And I have officially decided that after my return from the holiday, it is time for research. I will not rest until I have found a solution to extending my stay here!

No comments: