10.23.2008

what is shiny, new and sliver and rides around the streets of paris?


.... me and my new trottinette! (Trottinette French - Scooter English). I received it as a birthday gift from the au pair family I am working for/staying with for 1 year! This is the best birthday gift. I tried it out last night for the first time. I hadn't been on a scooter since I was 10 maybe. But I tried one a month and ago and had forgotten how much fun they were! It is easy to carry around because it's not too heavy and can fold up nice and small. AND, I can't risk having it stolen because I can carry it and do not have to lock it up like a bike. I was meeting O for some dessert near metro Chatelet, and I decided to take my trottinette because it's only 4 metro stops from my house. But....I only made it to Bastille, only 1 metro stop away from chez moi before O called and said she was there already, so I took the metro the rest of the trip. We were both so excited about the trottinette that after dessert we kept riding it around, and even to the Centre Pompidou. I think she is going to buy one now too. I decided to ride it home that night, it was after midnight, but I felt confident I could do it. I felt so free gliding down the streets. It was a pretty warm night, and it was so nice to not have to take the metro. I realized how many things I had been missing in Paris from spending most of my commuting underground. I made quite a few mental notes of cute shops and cozy looking cafes, that I normally would have never noticed. It was late so I basically had the sidewalks to myself. AND, I never even fell! I think I may do the same tonight, if my leg isn't too tired. (My left leg, because thats the one that does all the work. For some reason my right leg just isn't as good at it.)

1 comment:

frauz said...

My trottinette is dangerous. I've hurt my ankle several times.