12.05.2008

vitamin c, cosy sweaters, & warm tea....embrace me!

It is now the 4th time since September I have been sick, and the 2nd week I have had this damn cold. With three kids, going to three different schools, there is quite the assortment of germs to bring home with them. And so, at least 1 of them is sick at all times, almost. And me, apparently being quite susceptible to little French colds, I am stuck with being sick almost all the time. I am now used to life with an on/off cold. But really, 2 weeks? that is far too long to be stuck with a runny nose cold. It's just not very cute to be sitting in a bar talking with friends, having a tissue plastered to my face the entire time.
Don't worry, this is not a complete self pity post.

On Wednesday, I had a moment with one of the kids. Anais, the middle child who is 5 years old, was in the middle of watching a film. She calls me over to give me a big hug and a kiss, and tell me that she understands that a new nanny will be coming to stay with them after me, but that she really wants me to stay and that she is not going to like the new one. She wants me to stay with them always. She finishes this tear jerking comment with "Je t'aime".
I melted. How can you not, when an adorable little girl is telling you this, in a squeaky little French voice nonetheless.

Last night, I was talking to my sister over messenger, and I was saying a couple phrases in French. I used to constantly use Google translation to help me with my French, but for the past month or more, I haven't been needing it. yay! So I decided to translate a sentence I wrote in French, to English, using the translation online. I thought it was an easy way to see if the French I am using actually makes sense....
This is what I said:

My French sentence:
"oui, mais il y a beaucoup petite histoires dans le meme livre.
tu peux lire juste un histoire si tu veux."

Translated to English:
"yes, but there are many small stories in the same book.
you can read just a story if you want."

And it actually makes sense!!!! I am so happy that French is finally feeling more natural to speak and to write. I was really starting to worry I would be going home for Christmas, with nothing to show from my 6 months in Paris.

Speaking of translations....and different ways of saying things in French and English. I was looking at some old msn conversations that I found on my computer saved in some random location like "messenger conversation history". I found one between my boyfriend and I (who is French), when I was still in Canada and he was back in Paris.

boyfriend: What are you doing tonight?

me: Something with your father.

boyfriend: Yes I am sure. My father is a hot boy.


"Hot boy!?" haha.... I wonder if I found it as funny at the time as I do now.

Also, this is really funny. And so is this. I like Sarah Silverman.

No comments: