1.29.2009

raw commitment

Sometimes when I'm eating, or going to eat a piece of fruit, I get lost in thoughts about what I am actually eating. It is an apple. It grows, it is natural, it is part of the earth, it was not created by man. If I am half way through eating this crispy apple and suddenly decide that I have had enough I must either just finish it, or put it in the garbage or compost. I can't just roll up the bag and put it back in the cupboard for later. I can't close the lid and put it back in the fridge to eat a few days later. Nope, can't do that with an apple. You make a commitment to the fruit the second you bite into it, or peel it, or cut it. But not just apples, it's the same for anything....fresh, and anything, well....good for you. Some things last longer, like broccoli you can keep in your fridge for a while, potatoes can stay in the cupboard for a few weeks even. And that fresh cut of beef can stay in your fridge for about a week too. But soon, they will all go bad. And that is ok. Sure, you paid £2 for that bag of mushrooms that you didn't end up eating. But it doesn't matter, because they will decompose. Because you know that they are mushrooms, they are a vegetable. The end. But that bag of Doritos that says best before 10/08/09, or that bottle of creamy alfredo sauce that says please keep refridgerated and consume no more than one week after opening. You know what it is because thats what the label says....but if you were to read whats on the package and use that as a base for recipe....I'm sure you could find only 1/10th of the ingredients.



corn, vegetable oil, chese powder, salt, buttermilk powder, wheat flour, whey protein concnetrate, tomato powder, flavour enhancers (621, 627, 631), onion powder, whey powder, garlic powder, dextrose, sugar, mineral salt (339), food acids (270, 330), flavour (natural), spices, colours (129, 150, 110).. Contains Gluten.. Contains Milk or Milk Products.. Contains Soybeans or Soybean Products.

Let me translate that:
lqsdnfhoizhtong 249879 lskjtirzqtjbarfbarfbarf8347, qzlkrt, shit (978,080,654), zirngjjqjkqqqqqqqqqqqqzortuoziruskdnfizoerutpziuetpizrutoizr8796769874987 pozurtjh

honestly, I love chips, and I am not planning on stopping to eat junk food anytime soon. It's just, how can a snack change so much from a simple apple, to bag filled of "spices" and "colours"? Seriously.... spices, colours.


I started reading this book last year. I didn't finish it though. But if you need a hint for a gift ever, this is one. I've babbled enough for one post, click on the link if you are at all interested in sustainability or potential presents for me.


*The photos are all courtesy of my boyfriend. He used them for a photography project a couple of months ago. But I hardly need to give him credit....after all it was my idea to cover the fruit in glow in the dark powder. I think.

No comments: