3.18.2009

a dedicated collector and other little thoughts

The weather is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous these days. I sure hope it lasts. Now that I am seeing the sun daily and wearing spring coats, I realize how completely lovely Paris is in all types of weathers. I am happy that spring is here, but now that I see it I realize how Paris is beautiful in any weather conditions. I guess I'm not really surprised. It will be so easy to convince myself to stay here forever.

My window is open, and I hear vespas passing outside my window. My boyfriend has a vespa. I would like a vespa. I trust myself. His is broken at the moment, and has been for the last few months.... I miss the feeling of holding on close to him, and hiding my face from the cold wind with his back, or if it is warm, letting the breeze rush past my face and through my hair....
sigh, feels like so long ago.











Ontario, February 2009


I am trying to clean my room for the 598374503844th time this month, and it's just not working. See, I am a dedicated collector. Collector of what? of everthing.... that is why my room will just never be clean for more than a day. I love free things. Free newspapers especially. Which is a huge issue because there are hundreds of free newspapers to be had on a daily basis here in Paris. Free pamphlets and business cards from bars, cafe's and art galleries.... Don't even get me started. I collect receipts, old notes that I've written silly things on, jars, buttons, rocks, sea shells, bags, empty containers, notebooks, letters, postcards, free perfume samples.... anything I can get my greedy little dedicated collector hands on. This is me. I have tried to organize myself and stop this habit, but it is me, it can not be changed. And I look at my Oma's house, and I see that I am the same as her and that I will spend the rest of my life collecting. But its perfect, it will give my guests and children, and grandchildren plenty hours of searching and snooping and enjoying, just as I did with my oma's random collections. I'm trying to remember how it all started, and I think it spawned from collecting pretty stones from peoples drive-ways when I was young, playing at various childhood neighbours yards etc. Like I've said before, I am organized within my disorganization.



Toronto, friends house, drunk, February 2009


I went back to Canada a few weeks ago for some interviews and tests regarding my potentially studying in France. After living in such a beautiful country, and city for so long, I find myself actually searching for something attractive and beautiful in Canada. Living in Paris has spoiled me, all I have to do is look outside my window each morning and be inspired by the beauty that surrounds me. But in Canada (the cities and towns atleast), I was actually searching for things that I found asthetically appealing. And of course I was successful, don't get me wrong, it's just that beauty over-load moments don't happen as frequently as in Paris.


Toronto, friends house, slanted old stairs, Febrary 2009

No comments: